Bayview Glossary

Bottom Plate

The horizontal part of a wood frame wall on which the bottom of the wall studs rests.

Bow Window

Bow Window

A bow window is a home extrusion comprised of any combination of four to six individual casement or picture windows joined together to form a semicircle. More about bow windows.

Brick mould:

A type of external casing that goes around a frame for windows and doors.

Cam lock

The device that pulls the sash together when being closed.

Cam locks

Cam locks are thumb-turn locks that are traditionally used on horizontal and vertical sliding (slider) windows. They tighten the interior and exterior sashes together to provide superior locking security and reduce drafts.


A thin covering material, of metal or vinyl that is fitted over a door or a window for weather protection and a finished appearance. Also used as a flashing to prevent rainwater penetration.

Casement Window

Casement Window

A casement is a window is an operational sashed window that is attached to its frame by one or more hinges at one side. Casement windows can be installed as a single unit or in combination with other fixed or operational windows. Read more about the pros and cons of casement windows.


A compound for filling joints and sealing cracks to prevent leakage of water and air.


Cladding is a layer of vinyl, aluminum, or fiberglass that is applied to the out side of certain types of windows. It protects the exterior of a wood or composite windows and is made of vinyl, aluminum, or fiberglass, eliminating painting.

Complete Tear Out Window Installation

A method of installing a replacement window where the older window is completely removed back to the original window opening (RSO).