Bayview Glossary

Air Barrier

That part of a wall (exterior wall) assembly that restricts the passage of air.

Air Infiltration

Air that leaks in and out of a structure through wall cracks and windows or doors is considered "infiltration". The lower a window’s air infiltration rating, the more airtight it is.


Trim moulding fastened below the stool or sill of a window that covers the space between the window sill and the rough sill or window opening sill.


A term used to describe a window unit with a curved frame. Also called curved tops or round tops are often placed over another window.

Argon gas

Argon gas

Argon is an odorless, colorless, non-toxic inert gas used in the window manufacturing industry to fill the empty spaces between glass panes. Because of it's properties it will increase insulation and energy efficiency in a window. An alternative to Argon is Krypton, which is a little more expensive, but is a better insulator.


Centre post between two swinging doors.


A canopy fastened to an exterior wall over a door, window or patio for protection from sun or rain. Made of a lightweight metal frame with canvas cover either fixed or retractable or made of aluminium panels and frame.

Awning Window

Awning Window

Awning windows are an excellent choice for increasing light and ventilation into your home. On their own, or in combination with other types of windows, awning windows can be installed above or below other windows, or above doors. They are hinged at the top and open outwards at the bottom.

Bay Window

Bay Window

A bay window is a window made up of two angle framed window sides running at 30 or 45 degrees and a framed front window that runs parallel to the outer wall of the home to form a polygonal shape. More on Bay Windows.

Bearing Wall

A wall that carries a load from above.