This is definitely the era of the do-it-yourselfers. With online videos, tutorials and step-by-step installations that guide you every step of the way, it's hard not to consider taking tools into your own hands. After all, in theory, how hard can it be?
That said, why on earth would you pay a professional to install your windows? Three very good reasons “NO RISK”, “NO PAIN” and “GUARANTEED RESULTS”. Take a look at a few reasons why you might want to get a pro to do that window installation for you.
Hard times for the do-it-yourselfer
Whether you are installing a completely new window, or replacing an existing window. The concept of window installation sounds simple enough. As long as you get it in there and it’s square, what could go wrong?
- Improper measurements and ordering may require adaptive procedures that cause under performance
- If you break, smash or scratch the window, there’s no undo button
- Improper insulating could defeat desired energy efficiency
- Wrong or inferior materials could cause post-installation defects that can lead to cracked joints, cracked panes and related issues
- Improper installation could lead to exposure to the elements, insects and rodents
- How much is your time worth? It may take longer than you would expect
- Some window manufactures stipulate warranty will be void if not installed by a qualified professional installer
- And just when you think you are finally done, you still have to dispose of the old windows
Eliminating the risk
Whether it’s one window, or a whole house of windows if your windows are professionally installed. There’s no risk, the installer is responsible for everything, and you are the boss, so if something doesn’t look right and you think you could do better, it must be fixed to your satisfaction.
- If the order is wrong (and it rarely happens), the installer must remedy it
- If it’s dropped, scratched or broken during installation, the installer must replace it
- If there’s a flaw that shows up post-installation (within the warranty period), the installer must repair it
- Look for companies that provide the best warranty’s on installation, installation labor, and materials
- Even better look for life-time warranty’s on installation, installation labor, and materials
- In most cases you are ensuring manufacture’s warranty with a professional installation
Eliminating the pain
- Imagine trying to install windows on the second story of your home. Professional installers use the proper tools, wear the proper gear, take the necessary safety precautions and are trained in proper procedures for heavy lifting and working at heights
- Professional probably do hit a thumb or skin a knuckle on the rare occasion, after all, no one is perfect. Not to be facetious, but better-them-than-you right?
Professional window installer results
- Experience makes a difference
- Know-how to measure properly
- Know-how to make correct order
- Know-potential pitfalls
Professional installers are usually contracted for the whole installation process which means they are responsible for the disposal of unwanted old windows. Plus they will remove all the construction waste as well.
Professionally installed windows carry a much better warranty. In fact, some window warranty’s actually stipulate warranty could be void if not installed by professional installers.